Monday, March 16, 2009

Cooking - Bananas 6 Months in Freezer

Quick breads are one of my favorite things to make. So a couple of weeks ago I made some Banana Bread and Pumpkin Bread.  I tried out two different Pumpkin Bread recipes -- one from Betty Crocker and one from Taste of Home.  I really liked the Taste of Home recipe, but the Betty Crocker was a bit more moist.  I'll have to share the recipes with you after I test a couple of others and find a favorite.  

So when I bought bananas a couple weeks ago there were a few left over that were ripe, so I put them in the freezer (the whole bananas, not peeled or anything).  I've often wondered how long bananas are good in the freezer -- How soon do I need to use them (for my next loaf of Banana Bread)?

Since I just stumbled upon this information at JoyofBaking.com and find it extremely useful, I wanted to share it with you:

Bananas = Good for 6 months in the freezer

Copy/Pasted Info: 
If you are like me almost every time I buy bananas a few (not enough though to make this bread) will turn brown before I get around to eating them. Instead of throwing them away simply slip them into a plastic bag and place them into the freezer until you have enough for baking. You can also peel and mash them, stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice for each banana, and freeze in an airtight container or bag. They will keep about six months in the freezer.



I'd definitely be making banana bread again way before the 6 month mark, but still knowledge is power.  

I have a favorite Banana Bread recipe from my Mom, and since it has a special place in my heart (delicious and reminds me of Home)   I almost never make Banana Bread using other recipes.  I've been looking at a couple of other BB recipes and might try a new one soon.  I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

In This Wonderful Life said...

yummie!! I ought to make some banana bread! My mom's bread is SO AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!! Good tip on the bananas...I always wondered!