Monday, January 05, 2009

Cooking - Basic Beer-Cheese Bread

Recipe:  Basic Beer-Cheese Bread  or just Basic Beer Bread
From:  Cooking Light


Picture:  Will add later when I upload from the camera. 

Notes:  
I've made this bread twice in the last couple of days.   So easy!  So good!  I've made a couple of changes to the recipe to fit with what we have in the pantry. 

One time I substituted jalapenos for the onions.  
One time I left out the onions and cheese parts entirely and just made the basic bread part.  

Recipe below is copy/paste directly from the website.  In parenthesis are details that I added.  


Ingredients:

  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped yellow onion  (I used jalapenos)
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  garlic clove, minced

(I've also made this bread with just the ingredient items below)
  • 13.5  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
  • 3  tablespoons  sugar  (I used splenda-sugar blend)
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  cup  (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese  (I used the 2% milk Mexican blend cheese)  (I've also made this bread without including the cheese at all)
  • 1  (12-ounce) bottle lager-style beer (such as Budweiser)  (I used Coors Light)
  • Cooking spray  (or just butter the pan)
  • 2  tablespoons  melted butter, divided

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Add onion mixture, cheese, and beer to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

4. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until deep golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.


(Lockstep and I like the bread really soft and just barely done on the inside, so I baked the bread for the 35 minutes and then only 15 minutes.)


Yield:  1 loaf 

No comments: