Monday, December 22, 2008

Butter vs. Margarine

I recently switched from "margarine"  to "butter"  for cooking and baking.  I've made the apple-cinnamon coffee cake and the cinnamon rolls using butter.  I just laid out 4 sticks of butter on the counter (letting it soften to room temperature) for baking Neiman Marcus Cookies (one of the cookies Lockstep likes;  taking a bunch of these cookies to the in-law family Christmas Eve).

I'm still not sure which is better - butter or margarine.  I know there is much debate.  We don't eat enough butter/margarine on a daily basis to be too worried about it.  But I'd like to know if one is better than the other for baking.  

I'll stick with butter for a while - test some recipes and see if there's a difference. 

So the jury is still out:  Butter or Margarine?  

3 comments:

In This Wonderful Life said...

hmm...well i do use both. typically whatever the recipes say...unless im out. my mom says "depends what you're cooking".....my friend jamie who works in catering..says "butter, fat makes things rise!" happy cooking :)

The Shepherds said...

Well, I have to weigh in on this one--BUTTER is BETTER! -E

Unknown said...

I think butter is better for baking, you can count on butter to melt the same way every time. Margerin on the other hand varies a lot from brand to brand, some have more water, different oils etc. I think for Saute-ing and spreading margerine is probably fine, I just prefer butter or olive oil and butter 50/50.

Have a Happy Christmas!