Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cooking - Banana Muffins

In the mood to bake something, I decided to make these muffins that I recently stumbled across on Allrecipes.  They turned out ok.  These muffins aren't too sweet or too dense.  Although, nothing compares to my Great Aunt Floy's Banana Bread recipe (posted below the muffins...I haven't made this bread in a while, but next time I do I'll post about it).


From:  Allrecipes

Notes:  These muffins were really good on the first day.  They got too dry on the second day.  

the muffins:



Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sometimes I do half regular/half whole wheat)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 large bananas, mashed

3/4 cup white sugar  (I use splenda-sugar blend)

1 egg

1/3 cup butter, melted (I use margarine because my mom always used margarine)



Notes: Substitute applesauce for the butter for healthier, low-fat muffins



Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

-Coat muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray, or use paper liners.


-Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.  (Sift if you have a sifter, I don't have a sifter.) 


-Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well. 

-Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth.


the dough:



-Scoop into muffin pans. (I use an ice cream scooper for evenly sized muffins.)


-Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. (I only baked these for 20 minutes.)  Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped. 


Yield: 12 muffins


the muffins in their pan:




-------------------

Interested in a good banana bread recipe?


Recipe: Banana Nut Bread

From: Floy (Floy Miner)-->Glenda Ballard-->Marlena Hensarling


Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas, mashed

1 cup sugar

1 stick oleo, melted and cooled

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup nuts, chopped  (Tip:  Put in ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin or something like it.)


Directions:

-Add sugar to mashed bananas.  Mix.


-Add melted/cooled oleo to banana-sugar mixture. Mix.


-Add the flour/baking soda/vanilla to the banana mixture. Mix well.


-Add nuts and mix.


-Pour into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes.


Yield: 1 loaf


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have some bananas in the freezer that I need to do something with, and I think we have a winner here with the muffin idea. What is oleo by the way?

Lena said...

Yum! Let me know how your muffins turn out. Oleo is just like butter. I usually substitute margarine.

Lena said...

Ok, so these muffins were too dry after the first day. I'd not suggest making them again. Go with the tried and true Banana Bread recipe! I've made that one many many times and my mom has made it many more!