Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cooking - German Style

The last meal I cooked for Erik in our apartment in Houston was German cuisine. Lockstep is quite proficient in the German language.  I'm learning - audio discs in the car and have a couple of books (German in 10 minutes a day :)  It's something I'd like to work on more often.  For our next vacation we'd like to visit Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  So I'd like to be more familiar with the language by the time we plan to travel. Our last name is German... Hensarling... came from Heinzerling (phonetically, I need to learn the spelling of the great-grandfather's name).  They changed the name at Ellis Island. 


Dinner:
Grilled Bratwursts
Roasted German Potato Salad
Sauteed Sauerkraut with Caraway Seeds


The Roasted German Potato Salad I've been making for about a year now.  The index card that I wrote the recipe on says that it came from cooks.com in April 2008.  This isn't my favorite potato salad ever, but Lockstep really likes it and it goes well with the bratwurst and sauerkraut.  

Recipe:  Roasted (German) Potato Salad

Notes:  
-Amounts are approximate.  Depends on how many potatoes I have in the pantry. 
-I usually make extra of the dressing part.


Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
1 clove garlic or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
2 teaspoons minced chives
1 teaspoon rosemary
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
-Spray baking dish with Pam. 
-Scrub potatoes, cut into quarters, and place in a single layer in a baking dish. 
-Mix together 3 Tablespoons of the olive oil with the garlic, salt, pepper.  Scatter over the potatoes.

(Note:  Sometimes I put the potatoes in a bowl and toss with the olive oil mixture.  Then I put the potatoes on the baking dish.)

-Toss and roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. 

-Beat the vinegar and mustard, and whisk in the remaining olive oil until smooth.
-Add roasted potatoes and herbs.  Cool to room temperature and serve. 


Yield:  Serves 6



No comments: