Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cooking - Meatloaf

 My husband loves meatloaf!  (Is meatloaf 1 word or 2 words?  Personally, I like it as 1 word so that's what I'll use here).  I've made meatloaf about 3 times before using this recipe.  The first time was from startcooking.com and it turned out good/ok.  The second time it was way too dry - I tried to cut a recipe in half and used way too many breadcrumbs.  The third time I used a Boston Market recipe (from one of those "secret recipes" pdf cookbooks that get emailed around) and it turned out way too moist/wet  - I don't think I drained the meatloaf the right way in the middle of the cooking.  


So, I asked Lockstep's mom how she made meatloaf.  The tips really helped.  I'm learning what the consistency of meatloaf should look like before you put it in the oven.  This recipe turned out really good.  Lockstep ate leftovers for a couple of days (and it was still good).  The key thing with meatloaf is practice and learning what the moist/dry ratio should look like before baking in order to get moist meatloaf that tastes good.  


Recipe:  Meatloaf

From:  Kristy Hensarling


Ingredients:

1 lb  90% lean ground beef (Erik picked it out)  (Note: use almost the leanest ground beef - not the 97%, but the next one, as it is too dry if you use the very leanest, but it's your call)

1/2 - 3/4 cup ketchup (at least!)  *I think I used more like 3/4 cup - 1 cup because I really didn't want it turning out too dry* 

1/2 -3/4 cup bread crumbs (enough to equal about 3 slices of bread)

1 egg

medium amount - parsley

little amount - basil

generous amount of garlic salt  (and/or seasoning salt)

lil bit of regular salt and pepper 


optional items:  green bell pepper or onion, finely chopped and sauteed


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


2. Line metal loaf pan with foil (for easier clean up, just don't eat the foil!)  


3. Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl:

Adding 1/2 cup ketchup first, then more if too dry.

When you mix it all up, it should be formable into a loaf/ball oval shape.  If it is too moist and falls apart add more bread crumbs, if too dry add more ketchup.


4. Place the meat loaf mixture  in baking dish (metal loaf pan), and finish forming to size and shape. Squeeze more ketchup on top covering the top of the loaf in a pattern of your choice. Sprinkle parsley on top for a nice garnish. 


5. Bake about 45 minutes (check it after 30 minutes for doneness in the middle, bake longer if needed).  Bake until center reaches 160 degrees on meat thermometer. 


6.  Allow meatloaf to cool and meat to rest before slicing (about 10-20 minutes)  


Yield:  1 meatloaf


Notes: 

other options - add a few spoons of bbq sauce or Heinz 57 sauce with the ketchup; use tomato sauce if out of ketchup; use 2 eggs instead of 1 egg  if  have 1 1/2 lbs of meat; add oregano



3 comments:

Katie @ Modern-Day Family said...

We love meatloaf at my house too! Sometimes I put a scoop of chunky Salsa in instead of ketchup or in addition to ketchup because it it helps with the whole moist thing and you have some onions and peppers. I also always put Worstershire Sauce (no idea how to spell) and if serving for a group a really night touch is to put bacon on the outside and do a basket weave around the loaf! It's such a nice fake out because it just makes it look so gormet but it's so simple! Also I've played with ratios of pork and beef or turkey and beef with is good too!

Unknown said...

I'm sure Erik is partial to his mom's recipe, but Barefoot Contessa's recipe for meatloaf turns out really well. It's interesting because you dont cook it in a loaf pan, but rather on a baking sheet losely formed into a mound. I grew up with the loafpan version so it was a departure for me at first, but now I like it.

Glad you're back in blog land, I was getting bored at the office :)

Lena said...

Thanks for the tips!! I'll def try out your suggestions. :)