Sunday, November 02, 2008

Fitness

Ever since I started gymnastics at 5 years old, exercise, fitness, and health played a big role in my life.  I'm so lucky to have a husband who values exercise and will go running with me!  Right now our usual workout routine is a daily 20-25 minute jog in the park.  Then I do Pilates for about 15 minutes.  I've learned the exercises through some videos (a couple of random purchases at Target in the exercise video section).  I'll just go through the basics (mostly the exercises I like).  Sometimes I go through phases of lifting weights and swimming laps, but they aren't part of the usual routine lately.  

Note - I'm also lucky that I live in Texas.  It's warm here year-round (we had 2 weeks of winter last year in Houston).  The weather here does make it easier to get outside and active. 

Katie Womack and I walk Rice University about once/week.  The trail around Rice is about 3 miles long, so it's a great workout!  Walking with friends is a good way to get exercise and catch up.  I highly recommend "workout dates"!  

Katie and I also did Bikram Yoga not too long ago.  If you want to burn some serious calories in 1 sitting, then Bikram Yoga is the way to go.  Wow.  I think we sweated off several pounds.  Here's the link to the place we go in Houston: Bikram Yoga College of India (the South Blvd location is most convenient for us).  I could definitely go for a gift certificate to this place!  I'm also interested in any good Bikram Yoga places in Austin.  Since we are moving in January, then maybe that can be a resolution for the new year?


Ok, so here are some general workout thoughts:

Tips:
-For accountability, it helps to have a partner.  
-Schedule workout time into your weekly routine.
-Once you're in the habit/routine then keep it going.
-Don't think about it.  Just put your workout clothes on and go.  Don't think about it.  If you stop to think about it there's risk of talking yourself out of it.  Just get dressed and go workout!


Notes:
-Some say to vary your workouts (don't just do the same thing over and over).  I think it's more important to just be physically active.  Just do whatever activity you enjoy!!! 
-The Surgeon General recommends getting a moderate amount of activity (about 30 minutes) most days per week (to improve health and quality of life).  





Some favorite places to run:

Houston:
Rice University  (campus and the jogging trail)

Clint Small Jr. Middle School (off Monterey Oaks Blvd if you live in South Austin)

No comments: